The International Design Alliance (IDA) is a strategic venture between the international organisations representing design. The alliance was created by two founding partners - the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design (Icsid) and the International Council of Graphic Design Associations (Icograda) and ratified by their respective General Assemblies in September 2003. In September 2008, the IDA welcomed the International Federation of Interior Architects/Designers (IFI) to the alliance as the third partner.
The alliance is based on the desire of its partners to "do together what they cannot do alone," concentrating on opportunities arising from multidisciplinary collaboration.
The design community working together for a world that is balanced, inclusive and sustainable.
To bring the benefits of design to world bodies, governments, business and society.
- To serve as the collective voice of design
- To develop and share knowledge of design around the world
- To stimulate innovation through multidisciplinary design collaboration
- To promote the mutual interest of all design professions
- To encourage the use and value of design by building relationships with world bodies
The alliance is governed by the IDA Executive Committee, which consists of nine members. These members are appointed by the Executive Boards at the first board meeting immediately following the General Assemblies of each partner and serve until the next General Assembly.
2011-2013 IDA Executive Committee
- Ms. Iva Babaja, Icograda Secretary General
- Mr. Soon In Lee, Icsid President
- Ms. Shashi Caan, IFI President
- Ms. Gitte Just, Icograda Treasurer
- Mr. Lawrence Zeegen, Icograda Vice President
- Mr. Brandon Gien, Icsid President Elect
- Prof. Dr. Peter Zec, Icsid Senator
- Ms. Madeline Lester, IFI Past President
- Ms. Marilena Farruggia, icograda Managing Director
- Ms. Dilki de Silva, Icsid Secretary General
The IDA Congress is the primary event for dialogue between designers and non-design stakeholders in a summit format. After an international Call for Proposals, the Taiwan Design Centre was selected as the IDA’s partner to organise the inaugural 2011 IDA Congress. Istanbul Technical University has been selected as the host of the 2013 IDA Congress in Istanbul, Turkey.
The IDA Partners lead individual projects whose content and outcomes are shared to facilitate the development of international best practice. These initiatives reflect the IDA's mandate to act as the collective voice for design.